Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lazy Sunday

The title of this post pretty much says it all. I haven't done a thing today, except wash my sheets, watch an episode of NCIS, take a nap, and pack up the luggage that I intend to send home with Brad. Literally, I haven't done anything else.

I got the most charming video mail today from my Mom and brother, William. They made a flying trip to New Orleans this weekend, and while in town stopped at the National World War II museum. They video took about an hour to upload because of the TERRIBLE internet situation here, but it was well worth it to see their faces and hear a cheerful greeting. There's just something different about seeing your loved ones, as opposed to hearing their voices... that's why I've been so frustrated that Skype is out of the question here. On that note, I'll take a moment to send a shout-out to my mom, because I think she might be the only one reading... Love you, Mom.

Tomorrow I'm going back to BFLA to hopefully start the second round of interviews this week. I will be talking to commercial sex workers this time around, and after that I should be wrapped up with the part of my project that will actually take place in Belize. Good thing that it's all getting acccomplished, because I'm leaving for home in two weeks.

So, being half way through my project, as short as it may seem, I think I can make some appropriate reflections already:

1.) This project has challenged my morals, values, beliefs, and career path. I am thankful for this challenge, and intend to use this experience to promote self-reflection and growth.

2.) No matter how many project plans, templates, timelines, or agendas I create, the most important thing that I can do for my host organization is LISTEN, OBSERVE, and LEARN... because these people don't NEED my help, they need my partnership. BFLA is a wonderful organization, and they do an awesome job of offering health care and information to populations who would not otherwise seek medical attention. I have learned so much from only a few meetings with my host organization.

3.) Being around like-minded people, such as my family, friends, and even co-workers is wildly important to my own state-of-mind. The last two weeks has proven difficult because I have not found anyone here that shares to same frame of mind as I do. I will use this information to guide my decision making for the future.

I have learned a lot more than these three things, but I feel like those are the best pieces of representative lessons I can offer, without exhausting my entire experience, and most of all, jumping to conclusions since I'm only half-way through. Much remains to be learned here in Belize, and I am wildly looking forward to whatever is in store for the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment