Thursday, May 21, 2009

You don't even have to lick stamps in Belize!

Not much new to report to you since yesterday. Last night was spent lazily watching television, and celebrating Kris Allen as the new American Idol. It is so cool to think that such a nice, Godly man was chosen by America as a success story. I’m very happy for him, and his cute wife! God has very big plans for that man!
We also watched the Orlando Magic barely beat the Cleveland Cavaliers in game one of the NBA Semi-Finals. J.Dunk was happy with this outcome and Kohl was a little bummed out for LeBron, but I’m sure there will be more basketball to watch in the coming weeks.

So far today we made a trip to the post office and grocery store, and had a lack-luster lunch at this little burger shop and ice cream parlor called Bluebird. There was a health fair in town, and BFLA had a booth set up. It was mostly for the kids, but we stopped by to check out all the hustle and bustle. There was also a parade going through the streets a little before noon, but we never figured out why or what the parade was for. Just twenty men mysteriously banging drums and walking in a group…

The heat wanes on. I actually woke up cold this morning, but I was definitely not complaining. Any relief is welcome. As a matter of fact, I’m about to go take my second shower of the day, and it’s only 1 p.m. I have a theory about the heat, though. I think that my mindset determines how the heat will affect me. If I stay calm, and go about my day as if nothing is the matter, then the heat doesn’t get me down. But, if I worry about the heat, and think about the heat, and try to stay out of the sun, then I end up being paralyzed with exhaustion and sweat. So, for now, I choose to rise above.

I finished compiling a list of questions for Melanie when I meet with her next Tuesday. I think I might be ready to start revising my work plan, which is really exciting, because I never thought I’d see the day. I’m starting to get a clearer picture of what BFLA is, and the work that they do. The more I find out about their work, the more my morals and values are challenged. The people that work at BFLA are so dedicated, and kind-hearted. They are doing good things, and over all, the work they are performing is needed for the most part, and definitely a worthy cause. I keep reminding myself that I am here to help gauge the needs of a specific community, and learn first-hand what public service means, anything beyond that is what I have to put out of my mind and ignore. I am definitely learning a lot, and I feel that I will leave an impact within the short time that I’m here. I just hope that I can come to peace within myself about the work that is being done.

Enough deep stuff! It’s almost nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment