Friday, May 29, 2009

Belize it or not!

Well blog readers, I sincerely apologize for the lack of updates, but the internet situation here is nothing less than frustrating. I cannot begin to explain how many hours I've spent trying to read an email, or look up some piece of obsure information. None-the-less, I'm giving the blog thing another try.

First of all, I lived through my first earthquake a few days ago. Around 2:30 in the morning I was jolted awake, but at first I didn't know what was going on. I felt my entire bed shaking, but because of the confused state that I was in, I thought the wind was causing my mattress to wobble. I got up, looked underneath the bed to make sure there wasn't someone playing a joke, and laid back down after realizing that my mattress and boxsprings sit directly on the floor. Then the dogs started barking, loudly. I tried for the next thirty minutes to go back to sleep, not understanding what had happened. The next morning I awoke to a ringing phone. It was my mother-in-law, calling for my husband, to see if I was okay. She had to tell me that it was an earthquake... because I thought the whole thing had been a dream. I assured I was fine, called my mom, and then celebrated God's grace. When preparing for this trip, I thought of a lot of things that could go wrong, but I have to admit that natural disasters were not at the top of my list. I'm so thankful that I have prayer warriors all over the place back home who have asked for God's safety for me and Porter.

Speaking of Porter, everything has been smooth sailing thus far. Other than swollen feet, and the uncomfortable sleeping positions he has forced me into, we've been doing very well! I think he has really enjoyed the Belizean fruit, because his jumps and somersaults increase when I eat my daily intake of pinapple and watermelon.

Monday was a national holiday here, and to celebrate Michelle (our angel that takes care of the guest house and wears many other hats) took us to a Belizean waterpark called CrocLand. Yes, there were really crocodiles in cages behind the water park, as well as jaguars and other wild animals. By the way, water parks in Belize actually consist of a very large swimming pool, ATV trails, horse riding, and LOUD, very LOUD music. In fact, that's something I've noticed everywhere in Belize. This culture likes its music loud, and no other way. Most of the time it's hard to think because if the music isn't coming from a passing car, it is coming from an obscure and seemingly misplaced speaker on the sidewalk. For the most part, I enjoy the music, but I would also enjoy it a few decibels softer.

My project is going very well so far. I interview two members of the MSM (males having sex with males) population today for the first time, and it went very well. I was able to use some of the skills that I acquired when doing interviews for Arkansas Department of Human Services in practicum work last semester. The two men I interviewed were very nice, and helpful, and even invited me to an event their hosting next weekend.

Tomorrow Julianne, Lindsey, Olivia and I plan to take a trip to Caye Caulker to enjoy the beach, water, and a little relaxation. I'm excited about the trip, because I've heard so many good things about this place. I'll be sure to take pictures, but I'm sure I won't be able to post them here.

Brad's coming to visit next week, and I couldn't be more excited. He's flying in to Cancun, and staying for five days. I am looking forward to him seeing Belize City, because I want him to understand why places like these capture my heart. I know he'll fall in love, too.

Well, I'm signing off, and I promise to be more faithful, dear blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment