Monday, June 1, 2009

Mundane Monday

I typed a post in Word earlier because our internet was down, but now most of what I said isn't relevant, so I figured I might as well start over. Today has been just another Monday in Belize. My third Monday in Belize, to be exact... Today was also the official beginning of "hurricane season" and although I haven't seen a drop of rain yet, the winds have been quite lively today, and for most of the day it was overcast and, dare I say it, cool? I was concerned earlier that the beginning of hurricane season might actually mean a tropical storm was forming, but then the sun came out around 3:30 and it was back to the heat. Apparently, last year at this time there was already a lot more rain to speak of, and the storm season was well underway, so I'm considering us lucky for now.

Most of today was spent trying to figure out transportation by bus, because Brad will actually be flying in to Cancun on Thursday, and I was told by all the locals that it would not be hard to get from there to Belize City. But, when I went to the bus station today I found out that it is actually an eight hour bus ride. I've been frustrated all day, going to the various bus stations, looking up phone numbers, wrestling with the internet to find information, but so far, I've got nothing. I'm not sure what we'll do yet, but I guess we will make it work. (I once had a friend who really liked my use of the phrase "make it work" because she thought that meant I was doing something I didn't want to). For clarification sake, I am excited that he's coming, but not looking forward to the headaches of the bus system in Belize. I hope it all works out for the best.

I'm hungry. What's new? I didn't eat much of a lunch, and eggplant parmesean is on the menu for dinner tonight, so it looks like I'll be on my own. I really HAVE to get a balanced meal tonight, for mine and Porter's sake.

Hopefully back to work soon. I’ll be interviewing the commercial sex workers this week, so that means no 8-5 Monday thru Friday work hours. Instead, I’ll be visiting the CSW population after hours. Another words, I’m just waiting for the call to know when I need to be ready. I’m expecting this to be an enlightening experience.

Hoep everyone's week is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment