Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hello…. Sunshine

This morning I met with Joan Burke at the Belize Family Life Association, to kick off my service project. Julianne and I had a meeting scheduled with her at 9am, and when we arrived we were introduced to Melanie. Joan told me that I would be working directly with Melanie on the “sexual diversity” project that she had been heading up. Basically, we are going to be interviewing and surveying members of the commercial sex industry and also males that have sex with males (MSM), to find out how BFLA can help them access health care and increase awareness about safe sex. I’m really looking forward to being a partner with Melanie and her committee, who seem to already be off to a great start!

I was very impressed with BFLA and the amount of work they are able to tackle with such a small staff. The clinic where Joan’s office was located is a fully functioning sexual health clinic, and when we arrived there was already a full waiting room. Before I left, Melanie gave me plenty of reading material to look over, and we decided to meet again next Tuesday (because this weekend is a holiday here just like at home). Apparently, in Belize, Monday is Commonwealth Day. I haven’t taken the time to look up exactly what this holiday represents, but it’s interesting that it coincides with Memorial Day.

After an hour at the clinic, Julianne and I made the trip back to our house. We met a charming taxi driver named Bobi. His actual name was Alfonso, but he was kind enough to tell us the story of how he got his nickname, along with several other tales. Bobi is the kind of guy that I could listen to for hours and never get tired of him talking. He had very interesting things to say, and I could just tell his spirit was sweet. After he dropped us off we watched some CSI:NY and waited for Lindsey to get home from her morning meeting.

Then, the three of us headed to grab some lunch at Cenie’s and pick up some office supplies. On the way, we came into contact with some lively characters, who I only felt threatened by a couple of times. The people here are very funny. The either are very complimentary, or helpful…all in a very laid-back, “Hey Mon,” kind-of-way. Sometimes, just because I’ve gotten so many words of warning, I find myself afraid for no reason. Although I feel like I shouldn’t, I still keep my guard up, because I know the crime rates. I just find it interesting that wherever we go we are outsiders, but not necessarily foreigners. It’s a very weird phenomenon.

I’m up to three showers a day, which is a luxury that I am well-aware-of and thankful for, so far. It’s just so hot that anytime I get dressed and go to lunch, or a meeting, by the time I get back I feel so disgusting that a shower is a must. I’ve only been here for two days and I’ve already done a load of laundry, which everyone at home knows is not like me at all. I packed enough clothes that I hoped I wouldn’t have to do laundry, but since I’m taking three showers a day, that means there are a lot of wardrobe changes, too.

Other than that, everything here seems to be going well. Porter is behaving himself for the most part, other than keeping me hungry and hot. I apologize for the lack of posts, but it has been near impossible to get a post published... I've completely given up on Skype. Facebook, however, has been surprisingly cooperative, so if you want to see pictures I suggest you check out my newest album. For now, a nap is on the agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment