Monday, June 8, 2009

A little bit of perspective...

Hey blog readers! Greetings from a very HOT Belize on Monday!

Lots has happened since the last time I posted, and I really don't have an excuse for not keeping you updated, other than a visit from my husband that kept me occupied over the weekend.

On Friday, not Thursday as originally planned, my host organization facilitated a visit to the Rose Garden in Ladyville, a small town outside of Belize City, towards the airport on the North Highway. I found it ironic that the name of the establishment was Rose Garden, because that also happens to be the name of a stuffy, old-lady restaurant in my hometown. In Belize, however, the Rose Garden is a business that employs commercial sex workers.

I'm not sure how to accurately describe what I encountered on Friday, but will say that it was a life-changing experience. I went on the visit wondering why people choose this type of profession, and left with such a proufound sense of blessing and thankfulness that I do not find myself in this position. The girls I met at the Rose Garden were just like I was a few years ago. They were not more than sixteen or seventeen years old, and interested in getting their nails done, and straightening their hair. They giggled about sexual health, and had innocent and real questions abotu the risks that were involved with their job. These girls were not far from me as a teenager, just silly and full of energy. The only difference was that these girls have not been priviledged enough to grow up in a comfortable lifestyle, and whether by choice or by force, they now find themselves in a scary, dangerous, and less-than-desirable situation. I feel for these girls... and will never be the same after having met them.

Also on Friday Brad arrived by bus from Cancun, Mexico. I was worried about his safety, but mostly excited to see that he was able to step out and have an adventure all his own. There's really something to be said for striking out alone, in a foreign country, and travelling to a destination you've never visited before. I was really proud and excited for him, and he seemed to really enjoy himself.

I tried to show him the best of Belize, but it was pretty difficult to do in the short amount of time that we had together, especially on a weekend. We went to Caye Caulker on Saturday, actually avoided a sun burn for him, and I think he really enjoyed the sights and surroundings. On Sunday we faced the ghost town known as Belize City, because the place completely shuts down. We went to eat a wonderful brunch, walked around for a little while, and hung out at the house, then had a delightful dinner at a beautiful restaurant on the ocean. The weekend could not have been better.

He left out this morning by bus once again, will stay in Cancun tonight (at a better hotel than before) and get back to Texarkana tomorrow. I'm praying for his safe travel, and hope you will too.

My project is at a stand-still for the moment, and I'm hoping to hear back from BFLA soon to find out how I can be the most productive for the remainder of my project. I'll make sure to keep you all updated, and hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I love what you said about the girls you are working with. It brought tears to my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete