Thursday, June 4, 2009

Comfort Food: Fuel for the Soul

I was scheduled to complete the CSW interviews today, but they have been postponed again. I have several thoughts about this swimming in my head, but for the most part, I understand how difficult it is to work with this population. First of all, what they are doing is not at all commonplace, or acceptable, and getting them to sit down for an interview cannot be the easiest task, so I can see why my host organization is a bit at a loss as for how to schedule time to talk with them. We're shooting for tomorrow afternoon, which is when Brad is scheduled to arrive, so perhaps it will all work out for the best after all.

Last night Olivia, Johnathan, Kohl and I went to Bird's Isle, which is a wonderful restaurant on the ocean about three or four blocks from our house. The whole sitting area is a patio, which actually extends out over the water, and at sunset yesterday it was REALLY a nice dinner. I ordered a hamburger and fries, because I've seriously been dwelling on American food lately. It wasn't the BEST hamburger I've had, but it didn't leave me hungry, so I guess the goal of dinner was accomplished overall. I had strawberry ice cream for dessert, and it wasn't bad either. Let's just say that I'm counting the days back to Arkansas for many reasons, mostly because I've been making a list of places that I want to eat when I get back. I know it sounds silly, but being pregnant and hungry is NOT fun. I haven't starved by any means, and I'm not the "cravings" type, but when I want a McDonald's burger, darn it, nothing else will do. Just for your information, here's the line-up:



Chocolate oatmeal cookies, cut-up strawberries and ice cream, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob from Polly Porterfield.

French fries and REAL ketchup from McDonald's (along with a FOUNTAIN Coca-cola)

Marketplace- it's a stretch, since I don't live in Conway anymore, but the grilled queso is CALLING my name.

Chicken tortilla soup from On The Border.

Strawberry snow-cone from that nameless place on the corner of Arkansas Blvd. and Jefferson.

Speghetti and meat sauce with mushrooms and cheese bread from Joe's Italian Restaurant on Stateline.

I could go on forever, but I'll stop for now. I know it's silly, but seriously, what would a blog from a pregnant woman be without a post about food? It might take me a week or two to hit up all these places, but I'm hoping that by the time July rolls around I can start thinking about eating healthy again. For now, all I want to do is eat some comfort food. I seriously feel for all my classmates who are pulling the long haul and staying gone for three months. They will all be crazy skinny by the time they get back! Or maybe not... because in Belize the food has been good... just not what I'm used to.

Speaking of Belize, Brad will arrive in Belize City tomorrow sometime, and I intend to take him on a whirling three day tour of everything amazing about this place! There's no way I can show him everything, but hopefully he will get a good idea of why I think it's pretty close to paradise. He wants to see the Mayan Ruins, but I'm not sure how feasible that is, since they're over an hour away. I want to take him to one of the cayes, either Caye Caulker or Goffs Caye, and he has to see the city. We'll see what else comes up... after all, we only have a few days. After that, I can't believe it, but I'll only be in Belize for six more days. WOW!

Lindsey left for Dangriga with Dr. Wheeler and company yesterday, so the house is feeling kind of empty. We're down to four people, but I think at the end of next week we might have some other guests joining us, one of which is a married couple. This means I might get booted out of my room, because I'm the only one with a double bed. Stinks, but I've had it pretty good for three weeks now, so I'm not going to complain too much.

Well, this blog has been long and uninformative enough for one day. Hope all is well with you and yours. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment